Secretary for MS 419
- Posted Date: Apr 19, 2022
School Name: MS 419
School Site: 111-12 Astoria Boulevard, Northern Corona, NY 11369
Send Cover Letter, Resume and Portfolio to: JoinThe419Tigers@gmail.com
M.S. 419 is currently seeking passionate, creative, and innovative educators to be part of a dynamic goal-oriented team for a brand new middle school. The M.S. 419 community will be encouraged to amplify each individual’s strengths and foster a love for learning. By the time students graduate, they will have developed a strong sense of self, voice, and identity; have the tools to act with social and emotional intelligence, be conscious of their impact on the world; and engage responsibly in a global society. We promote intellectual curiosity and empower civic-oriented learners to achieve their full potential.
The curriculum is aligned to the Cr-Se framework, acknowledges diverse skills, and involves students as co-creators in the educational process by adopting the habits of mind and the personalized framework. These language and mindset habits will be woven throughout daily instruction.
Students will have two periods of "Genius," which will focus on project based learning and inquiry. During this period, educators will provide students the chance to explore their passion projects. Students will construct digital portfolios that will follow them throughout their educational career by uploading, reflecting, and showcasing their body of work. Once a week, students will participate in advisory, which will be developed in stages with a mixed pedagogical approach. The overall goal is to provide students with the tools they will need to be socially emotionally intelligent, develop a strong sense of self, and learn how to utilize their voice so they are empowered to engage civically.
A 2-day summer planning institute will offer an essential opportunity for staff to be involved in developing the school’s culture and instructional program. Because we believe that all staff members play an important role in the education of our students, the school will offer opportunities for secretaries to participate in the school community in a variety of ways:
- In-house school committees and/or special programs.
Advance notice of dates will be supplied, and those who participate will be compensated according to the terms of the UFT contract. Staff participation in these activities is voluntary, although strongly encouraged, as they are very important to the development of the school.
Possession of regular New York City School Secretary License, with satisfactory ratings and attendance
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Because roles in small schools are varied and complex, serious consideration will be given to applicants who demonstrate in their resume and cover letter experience and/or willingness to commit to the school’s mission and core beliefs and to become involved in these essential aspects:
- Performing School Secretary tasks in support of the learning community and focus of the school.
- Assisting Principal with clerical tasks such as updating calendar, making appointments, sending and receiving correspondence.
- Performing all functions of human services support, as they pertain to the role of school secretary, including payroll and employment processing.
- Performing all functions of pupil enrollment services, including but not limited to registration, transfers, maintaining required documentation of all enrolled students
- Performing pupil accounting, payroll, purchasing and supply duties using DOE systems and Microsoft applications
- Collaborating with school aides on office responsibilities
- Engaging and interacting with staff, parents, students, and the school community in a positive manner
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
- Willingness to carry out the above duties and responsibilities
- Ability to efficiently use FAMIS, Fastrack, ATS, EIS and other DOE purchasing protocols.
- Ability to perform general office management tasks.
- Ability to process school-wide payroll.
- Ability to maintain student records and schedules and coordinate all purchases of textbooks, equipment, and supplies.
- Ability and/or willingness to utilize office equipment and software such as Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Internet Explorer, Outlook) and Google Apps
- Ability and/or willingness to learn advanced skills in Microsoft Excel and accounting and inventory programs.
- Ability to implement the appropriate procedures regarding student and employee records in keeping with DOE regulations.
- Strong organizational skills to maintain payroll, purchasing and inventory records.
- Knowledge of the DOE policies regarding student and employee records.
- Willingness to learn new skills and participate in professional development activities.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing with colleagues, parents, students, and the community.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, multifaceted new school environment, including the ability to multi-task
In addition to the cover letter, resume, and interview, applicants must present three references including, if possible, one from a current supervisor. Other references might include a colleague with whom the applicant has collaborated, and/or a professional organization or staff development representative.
WORK SCHEDULE & SALARY
As per Collective Bargaining Agreement
An Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D
It is the policy of the Department of Education of the City of New York to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender(sex), military status, unemployment status, caregiver status, consumer credit history, prior record of arrest or conviction(except as permitted by law), predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above - noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation. For more information, please refer to the DOE Non - Discrimination Policy.
As of August 2, 2021, all NYC Department of Education new hires (who are not currently employees of the City of New York) must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination prior to beginning their employment unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons. Please visit the New Employees page for details regarding Executive Order 75.