School Leader and Supervisory Certification

You must have the proper NY State certification to qualify for supervisory positions with the New York City Department of Education.

If you are a current certificate holder, visit the Certification page on our InfoHub for important information on new requirements for maintaining your certificate.

Certification Requirements

Candidates for principal, assistant principal (AP), education administrator (EA), or “supervisor of” positions must hold one of the following certificates:

  • School Building Leader (SBL)
  • School Administrator and Supervisor (SAS)
  • School District Administrator (SDA)

Candidates for these positions are no longer required to apply for a Certificate of Eligibility (COE).

Candidates for pedagogical manager positions (including superintendent positions) must hold one of the following certificates:

  • School District Leader (SDL)
  • School District Administrator (SDA)

Candidates for subject-based supervisory positions (such as AP-Supervision Mathematics, Supervisor of Speech Improvement, etc.) must also possess a valid New York State teaching certificate in the underlying subject area.

The DOE does not accept School Business Administrator (SBA) or new School District Business Leader (SDBL) certificates, nor do we accept Supervisory Internship Certificates.

Visit the NY State Education Department for detailed information on certification.

Interstate Reciprocity

If you hold an administrative or supervisory certificate from another state, you may be eligible for a NY State certificate through interstate reciprocity.

However, even if you are certified in another state, you must apply for and be issued NY State certification to be considered for supervisory positions with the DOE. You must submit a new application with all the required supporting materials (transcripts, evidence of experience, etc.) to the NY State Education Department.

Transition to New Certificate Types

As of September 1, 2007, New York State no longer issues new SAS and SDA certificates. You can no longer apply for a provisional SAS or SDA certificate at this time, however you can still apply for a permanent SAS certificate as long as you met all requirements by September 1, 2007, or while your provisional certificate was still valid.