Speech Improvement/Pathology


To work as a speech pathologist or a teacher of speech improvement in the New York City public schools, you must possess or have completed all requirements for the appropriate New York State certificate.

Candidates from out-of-state may be considered if they fall within the guidelines for interstate reciprocity as defined by the New York State Education Department (NYSED). More information on specific requirements is provided by NYSED.

Hiring Process

For full-time employment, register and complete the online application, which is now open. If you are eligible:

  • You will be placed on a list of available and preferred candidates that Principals and Supervisors of Speech will review.
  • Hiring supervisors will contact candidates as needed to schedule interviews for these positions.
  • You will be placed in the New Teacher Finder with eligible teachers. This search tool allows principals to post school-based positions and contact candidates; and allows candidates to search for vacancies and apply directly to schools. Positions are typically posted during the summer months and into the start of the school year.

Bilingual Extensions for Speech Providers

To seek a position as a Bilingual Speech Improvement Teacher or Pathologist, you must hold the bilingual extension in addition to your base certificate in your professional discipline. If you have this extension certificate, please mention this in your online application. If you have been offered a position as a bilingual provider, and need the bilingual extension, please contact the Office of Scholarship and Incentive Programs for further information at 718-935-2449.

Current Employees

If you are a currently employed by the New York City Department of Education as a speech teacher/pathologist or a related service provider interested in a same-title transfer, you may search and apply for full-time vacancies in our schools through the Open Market system, which is available from April through August.